Thread: Replacement for old system

mhawkins is offline Junior Member

Default Replacement for old system

We have a Hydro Quad commercial water filtration system and and R/O unit by Water Resources International. Our system is about 20 years old, is having problems, we have hard, alkaline water here in Odessa. My husband and I are getting too old/out of shape to hoist those heavy bags of salt. I have been researching Kinetico Water Softners through Pure Water systems and on other sites.

Can we go wrong w/ a Kinetico system and their r/o filters? Is there anything better/ more cost effective to own/operate?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

M. Hawkins,
    Odessa, TX
    Last edited by mhawkins; 09-02-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: first post incomplete

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Can you provide water quality test results?

My research led me to one provider of Kinetico, in Lubbock, TX about 140 miles away from us. Don't know yet if our present service provider would be able to install one if we got it directly from Kinetico or other company.

My first attempt to post this info failed. We have city water and here's our city water quality report:

Turbidity
    Year Constituent Highest Single Measurement Lowest Monthly % of Samples Meeting Limits Turbidity Limits
    in 95% of Samples Unit of Measure Source of Constituent
    2010 Turbidity 0.26 100.0% 0.3 NTU Soil runoff

Cryptosporidium Monitoring – Cryptosporidium was not detected in any sample analyzed during 2009.

Total Coliform
    Year Contaminant Highest Monthly % of Positive Samples MCL Unit of Measure Source of Contaminant
    2010 Total Coliform Bacteria 3 * Presence Naturally present in the environment
    * Presence of coliform bacteria in 5% or more of the monthly samples

Inorganics Year Constituent Average Level Minimum Level Maximum Level MCL MCLG Unit of
    Measure Source of Constituent
    2010 Fluoride 0.75 0.75 0.75 4 4 ppm Erosion of natural deposits. Water additive which promotes strong teeth. Discharge from fertilizer and aluminum factories.
    2010 Nitrate 0.47 0.47 0.47 10 10 ppm Runoff from fertilizer use. Leaching from septic tanks, sewage. Erosion of natural deposits.
    2005 Gross alpha 2 2 2 15 0 pCi/L Erosion of natural deposits.

Disinfectant Residuals Year Constituent Annual Average Range of Detected Levels from Single Sample MRDL for Annual Average MRDLG Unit of
    Measure Source of
    Constituent
    Minimum Maximum
    2010 Chloramines 3.0 0.3 4.6 4 <4.0 ppm Disinfectant used to control microbes.
    Total Organic Carbon (TOC)
    Year Constituent Average Range MCL MCLG Units of Measure Source of Constituent.
    Minimum Maximum
    2010 Raw Water TOC 6.13 3.92 10.00 NA NA ppm Naturally occurring
    2010 Treated Water TOC 5.08 4.75 5.52 NA NA ppm Naturally occurring

Disinfection Byproducts Year Constituent Average of all Sampling Points Minimum Level Maximum Level MCL,
    Annual Average of all samples Unit of
    Measure Source of
    Constituent
    2009 Total Trihalomethanes (THM) 75 53.1 75.1 80 ppb By-product of drinking water chlorination.
    2009 Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA) 20 13.2 20.5 60 ppb By-product of drinking water chlorination.

Unregulated Initial Distribution System Evaluation for Disinfection Byproducts
    Year Contaminant Average Level Minimum Level Maximum Level MCL Unit of Measure Source of Contaminant
    2007 Total Haloacetic Acids 23.5 0 100.0 NA ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection
    2007 Total Trihalomethanes 110.8 33.6 526.2 NA ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection

Unregulated Contaminants

Year Constituent Average Level Minimum Level Maximum Level Unit of
    Measure Reason for
    Monitoring
    2009 Chloroform 1 1 1 ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection
    2009 Bromoform 15 15 15 ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection.
    2009 Bromodichloromethane 3.9 3.9 3.9 ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection.
    2009 Chlorodibromomethane 8.5 8.5 8.5 ppb Byproduct of drinking water disinfection.

Lead and Copper
    Year Constituent The 90th
    Percentile Number of Sites
    Exceeding Action Level Action
    Level Unit of
    2009 Lead 2.74 0 15 ppb Corrosion of household plumbing systems. Erosion of natural deposits.
    2009 Copper 0.144 0 1.3 ppm Corrosion of household plumbing systems. Erosion of natural deposits. Leaching from wood preservatives.

Secondary Constituents
    Year Constituent Average
    Level Minimum
    Level Maximum
    Level Secondary
    Limit Unit of
    2009 Bicarbonate 142 142 142 NA ppm Corrosion of carbonate rocks such as limestone.
    2009 Sodium 169 139 169 NA ppm Naturally occurring soluable mineral salts.
    2009 Chloride 317 317 317 300 ppm Abundant naturally occurring element; used in water purification; byproduct of oil field activity.
    2009 pH 7.6 7.6 7.6 >7.0 Standard
    units Measure of corrosivity of water.
    2009 Sulfate 289 289 289 300 ppm Naturally occurring; common industrial byproduct; byproduct of oil field activity.
    2009 Total Alkalinity as CaCO3 116 116 116 NA ppm Naturally occurring soluble mineral salts.
    2009 Total Dissolved Solids 1040 1040 1040 1000 ppm Total dissolved mineral constituents in water.
    2008 Total Hardness as CaMg 421 421 421 NA ppm Naturally occurring element.

We ended up replacing our system with another salt filtration system. We discovered our water is too hard for a Kinetico or other similar system. Our water is so hard you can get hurt if a bucket full of it falls on you.... just joking, but seriously, we are in the middle of the oil field and have lots of reasons for all the minerals and other elements in our water as you can see from the city water report I posted. Thanks for trying...
    MH

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

What do you mean "too hard"? Did I miss those numbers? How did you come to this conclusion? When you say 'salt filtration' does that mean a softener or a system that removes salt (sodium) from the water. Sorry, I was confused by your last post.