Thread: water purifiaction for well in Haiti

jared is offline Junior Member

Default water purifiaction for well in Haiti

I am trying to help a friend who is wanting to set up a water purification system in Haiti for a business. He was quoted a price of $10,000 for a system but that seems a bit over the top. Would an entire house system work if he had a pump before the system to create sufficient pressure? He has done some water testing and there is salt in his water. Any suggestions of filters for bacteria? He needs to keep the cost per gallon about 1 penny or so to make it work. This is barring the cost of running the generator of course.

I use a DI/RO system in my window cleaning business. So I am a little educated on the various types of filters but not for drinking water purposes.
    thanks for the help
    Jared B.
    Hammonton NJ 08037
    cell 609-214-1532

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Your quoted price means very little as commercial systems can go from that price to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Besides the fact there is salt in the water (very challenging), what other water conditions are included? What is the water source? How is it delivered to the location? How many gallons per day is he expected to provide for his business? What type of business is it? One penny per gallon!!! AND, to include a disinfection/sanitation system? That would be very difficult in most commercial cases.

Get a thorough water analysis including gpd usage.

Andy Christensen

thanks. I just talked with the civil engineer that is dealing with the site plan. They are doing on site testing and area analysis in January to see what other residents are doing for water. They have to deal with issues beyond what we often consider, cholera etc...
    Jared B.
    Hammonton NJ 08037
    cell 609-214-1532

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Some things will depend on simple things...like max flow rates, etc. There are multiple ways to deal with the "stuff" in the water you need to get rid of or sterilize...some answers to the "how to" questions are answered by "how much water are you going to be using/moving. As Andy said...$10k isn't all that much depending on what is in the water that you need to deal with.

The usage rate is expected to be about 4,000 ga a day. They are designing the well and pump system now. I'll post when I know more.
    Jared B.
    Hammonton NJ 08037
    cell 609-214-1532

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Again, a commercial application take great care and attention among many other factors to be able to complete the system and have it work and is maintainable. Let us know what the plans are.