Thread: whole house carbon filter system

Edw
    Edw is offline Junior Member

Default whole house carbon filter system

Hello Folks; My whole house carbon filter system is stuck in backwash mode. I advanced the timer manually but still stuck in mode. Had to close isolation valve on water inlet and outlet to stop wasting water. Any assistance is appreciated.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I never understood backwashing carbon filters. They're generally upflow to begin with. It's really a waste of water (and shortens the carbons life for you) unless you have a ton of sediment or other issues with the water...anyway, what is the model and brand of unit you have?

Edw

Default pawaterguy

hello pawaterguy; There is no name or brand on the unit. I have a model and serial number which may help to determine who produced it. I was thinking this may be a generic type of problem. Until now this unit has been trouble free but is getting old. I may research other methods to remove chlorine odor. I use chlorine to reduce bacteria and sulfur odor.

Ignore my rant then. I see them on city water applications and never understand why people don't just NOT plug them in as the backwash is not necessary for the reasons I listed. It may be a leaking piston and seals or a bad motor. Does it advance through the cycle on its own and continue to run to the drain or not advance at all on its own once you manually enter it into a cycle? Most frequently it will be of Fleck or Autotrol design (not always though). Google them each and determine which you have and you can go from there.

Edw

Default pawaterguy

Hey Pawaterguy. Thank you for the info. I think I will go with a whole house disposable type carbon filter. Much simpler.

wait wait wait. If you are dealing with sulphur and removing chlorine that you're injecting then I wouldn't advise switching to a carbon filter vs using a carbon "unit". It won't be very effective at the flow rates of a whole house. I think carbon units are the way to go when dealing with chlorine...I just don't see the need to backwash them in most of the applications I use them on. That's what I was trying to say earlier. The issue isn't the unit itself. You need it to do an effective job of removing chlorine for an entire home...it's just a waste of the carbons life and water (that you pay for on municipal supplies) in most city applications to backwash the unit. In your case it sounds like you would be better off repairing your unit. If it's a Fleck head/control then it's relatively cheap and easy to fix. But, you have to find out what you have first. Just do a google image search on Fleck heads and one on autotrol heads and see if either looks like what you have.

Edw

Default Pawaterguy

Pawaterguy; The unit is stuck on backwash. I have closed the isolation valves to stop wasting water. And of course now the unit is not in use. I will first find out which make it is and then repair the control head or replace if necessary. Thank you again.