Thread: What Kind of system do I have? And How do I maintaine it??

stumpbucket is offline Junior Member

Default What Kind of system do I have? And How do I maintaine it??

Hi People First time poster.
    I have a well that was drilled about 8 years ago 140' and after years of 13 ft deep wells this one was very mineral tasting. So we had a water co put in a system and they have done all the maintanance. It is very costly $250/4 times a year and they don't let like me to watch what they are doing and don't spend much time doing it? I built the house and do all my own motorcycle maintanance so I think I can handle it may self. My question is what type of filter system do I have? What is the normal maintanance associated with it? What would be a good place to source the filters and other goodies? I included a picture for reference of the system in its entirety. What I know is there is a cartridge filter, a big tank with a timer on it for back washing (looks like acetylene, but I know its not) and a bypass valve and what has been referred to as a salt container. Black square plastic 12" x12" x 3' high with a hose that goes to the valving at the top of the acetylene bottle.
    Thanks in advance as this is the first place I have looked and seems like allot of knowledgeable people here.
    SeanScreen shot 2012-01-23 at 8.10.14 PM.jpg

Alex is offline Senior Member

I see one filter housing before your water softener and is likely for removing sediments before entering the water softener. We do not off much maintenance for the softener as you would need to add salt to the smaller brine tank.

It is hard to tell from the picture, is the blue housing take a filter that is 10" long by 2.5" wide or 4.5" wide?

We carry a selection of filters that you can use for a much better price.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

You are paying $83/month for them to deliver salt and change (maybe) a filter. My question is-how can they tell you can't watch them in your own home? Just put your foot down and tell if they don't can remove it and set up your own system. In few years you going to have a fortune tied up in this thing. My guess is that you were given a used piece and that it is a TIMER system instead of a demand system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I see one filter housing before your water softener and is likely for removing sediments before entering the water softener. We do not off much maintenance for the softener as you would need to add salt to the smaller brine tank.

It is hard to tell from the picture, is the blue housing take a filter that is 10" long by 2.5" wide or 4.5" wide?

We carry a selection of filters that you can use for a much better price.
    I believe it is 10" 2.5" And assume your correct that it is a sediment filter.

It is a Timer system. Ever week I think it flushes its self and makes noise with a late night back wash so to speak. Is this a waste? should I have a demand system? All included this thing was around 3K and they have been hitting me for big money to add salt? That is what I thought. They also "Test my water" just to let me know its working fine. Looks like a pool water test to me. Can Someone recommend Water treatment that will do what I need?
    Thanks
    Sean

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Change the filter once a month or so with a 30 micron meltblown filter cartridge. Add salt when you can see water in the salt tank. Check the clock after power outages to make sure it's set to the right time. Save the money and let them come once a year to make sure it's working properly rather than 4x on such a simple system. If you ferrous iron in the water (refer to your initial testing results) start using an iron out powder (sprinkle it on top of the salt every time you add salt) and you're good to go.

As for the watching thing...I don't get too excited over it but I prefer to not be watched when I work. I've had customers pull up chairs and chat while I work...doesn't really bother me but it does slow me down and it's your money paying the T&M bill. Just sayin.