Thread: wine filters

pearlhouse is offline Junior Member

Default wine filters

Anybody here using a wholehouse water filter system to filter home made wines.???????????

PRR
    PRR is offline Junior Member

> a wholehouse water filter system to filter home made wines

How much wine are you making?

When I change a large paper filter the first hundred gallons of water come out "fizzy" as the air works out of the paper. Not sure you'd want that in your wine, or want to run a hundred gallons to drain to get the filter totally saturated. Carbon filters often release a grey haze the first few gallons, also they absorb "smell/flavor" which is great for stinky water but might take all the nuances off of wine.

pearlhouse is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up wine filters

Ive tried most all types and settled on either paper or string wound. Before I use a filter I run 5 gals of meta-sulfite water through them to ensure they are clean. After that I havnt noticed the air fizz you mention. What I do find puzzleing is when I use a 5 micron pape or string as against a propelyne filter, I cant draw throught the prop. filter hardly at all where as a 5mic. string or paper draws through quite easily. If they are the same micron size I cant figure this out. I also store these filters in a meta-sulfite solution once they have been used this keeps them from getting mold or other bacteria developing (I think)?????
    Attached Images Attached Images