Thread: Happy with 2.5 x 10 Carbon Block but can do better ?

kflack is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Happy with 2.5 x 10 Carbon Block but can do better ?

Hardness 18
    Iron 0.5
    UV Transmissivity 97.6
    pH 7.4
    Manganese 0
    Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) PPM 803

Also have light sulfur smell from Cold water.(Removed Anode HW tank )

Using a CF2 (Taste and Odour ) cartridge works well in a whole house scenario for taste and rust control, but only lasts 1 month.
    (Still have hard water but don't mind it at all. Also heart patients so any salt based ionizers are out of the question)

Thinking if I add a 20 micron Sediment filter up front and add a 4"x10 Whole house filter I may be able to improve the longevity and improve the duration before rust build up. Note: Cartridge works for 3 months for sulfur, but Rust stains start after 1 month.

I have heard of cartridges called KDF GAC. Whould they do a better job ? THey also come in diff sizes 5. lb to 2 lb ?

Could someone help me size what I need ?

Note: Can not use any systems like greensand or softeners that have backwash due to my location.

I know the carbon block works well, just trying to improve upon it.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Your water is slightly hard, and is also slightly alkaline with a pH of 7.4 which is within normal range (assuming that you mean 18 ppm of hardness and not 18 grains).

Two of the 10-Inch by 4.5-Inch filter housing in series should improve filtration and water quality. A 25 Micron filter should be used to prevent rust particles from passing through.

The Pentek DGD-7525 will begin at 75 Microns and will filter down to 25 Microns which will allow better filter life.

A KDF filter will remove heavy metals like lead, mercury, and iron, but you will likely want carbon media as well to reduce volatile organic compounds to filter a wider spectrum of contaminants.

I would recommend a filter containing a KDF/Carbon media - Pentek DBC-10EX2 filter. KDF media should help remove the hydrogen sulfide (Sulfur smell) and also remove some of the hardness.

Any standard 10-Inch x 4.5-Inch filter housing should be used with these filters.

kflack is offline Junior Member

Default KDF 55 or KDF 85

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Your water is slightly hard, and is also slightly alkaline with a pH of 7.4 which is within normal range (assuming that you mean 18 ppm of hardness and not 18 grains).

Two of the 10-Inch by 4.5-Inch filter housing in series should improve filtration and water quality. A 25 Micron filter should be used to prevent rust particles from passing through.

The Pentek DGD-7525 will begin at 75 Microns and will filter down to 25 Microns which will allow better filter life.

A KDF filter will remove heavy metals like lead, mercury, and iron, but you will likely want carbon media as well to reduce volatile organic compounds to filter a wider spectrum of contaminants.

I would recommend a filter containing a KDF/Carbon media - Pentek DBC-10EX2 filter. KDF media should help remove the hydrogen sulfide (Sulfur smell) and also remove some of the hardness.

Any standard 10-Inch x 4.5-Inch filter housing should be used with these filters.
    Firstly the 18 is 18 GPG (304 ppm)- Yes that is hard water....But we like it that way...
    I noticed that the cartridge your recommended uses KDF 55 media versus KDF 85 media. I am under the impression that KDF 85 media performs better at removing Iron (Ours is .5)
    and how do you calculate how many lbs of KDF media needs to be used ? Does more just mean the cartridge lasts longer, or is a larger one require to remove certain levels of contaminants ?

Which is a more appropriate choice for removing IRON (Staining) ?

Alex is offline Senior Member

The KDF-85 media is designed more for the dissolved iron and hydrogen sulfide, but either should work. In your situation, it looks like the KDF-85 should work better with less focus on chlorine removal which you wouldnt need.

A larger cartridge will allow more water to be processed at a time, and have less back pressure. A larger filter will also last longer, and it would not change the spectrum of filtration.

The only KDF-85 option for whole house would be the Omnifilter R06 KDF-85 filter.

You have already been running a 10x2.5-inch carbon block, so this larger filter will allow more water to be processed and have less pressure drop as well. Should last longer too!