Thread: Aqua pure AP815-2 carbon cartridge

CLB
    CLB is offline Junior Member

Default Aqua pure AP815-2 carbon cartridge

Hello I had my water tested a few years ago by Cuno a service provided by my local supply house and the results were High Turbidity, moderately Hard, and trace iron. they recommended the AP815-2 to go into my AP802 whole house filter. I used this for a few seasons but that cartridge was getting expensive about $80 so I found this site and have used the SDC -45-2020 since, this filter seems to have performed fine it is very dirty when I change it. Now I am wondering if there is a better choice (without spending $80 each) that would help with lime scale deposits/buildup. I just had an issue with my Rinnai on demand water heater caused by lime scale buildup in a flow sensor/servo. Now I know that flushing my hot water heater is part of the maintenance and I just found a new plumber that can take care of that. I read in another post about a filter with phosphate would that help in my situation? Also in regard to microns what # corresponds to smaller particles? The smaller # traps smaller particles? Thanks in advance for any reply's. CLB

Alex is offline Senior Member

The SDC-45-2020 filter that you are using is a 20-micron filter. Below are 3 other filters that would be better filters and filter 10, 5, and 1 microns. They filter a smaller particle so you may notice thefilters needing to be changed sooner.

The smaller the micron rating, the smaller the particle size it filters. I would recommend getting a couple of the 10 and the 5 microns and see how they filter and how long they last.

SDC-45-2010
    SDC-45-2005
    SDC-45-2001

The phosphate creates a barrier and prevents scale build-up on the inside of your water heater and pipes. It will not remove any already created deposits of scale.

10"x2.5" Phosphate cartridge.

This should be installed before the water is heated.

CLB

Alex Hi, thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Chris

CLB

So it looks like the phosphate filters are not for whole house applications due to the low flow rates.