Thread: Can I Use A 10X2.5 Filter In A 10X4.5 Canister?

Sichuan is offline Junior Member

Default Can I Use A 10X2.5 Filter In A 10X4.5 Canister?

I've upgraded my whole house water filtration system to three Dupont WFHD13001B Universal Heavy Duty Whole House Water Filtration Systems and have purchased several 10X4.5 filters for them. I have appx. twenty unused 10X2.5 filters, both sediment and carbon block, left over from my old DuPont smaller filter canisters. I hate to throw these good filters away. Is it OK to use these smaller filters in the larger canisters? I don't care if they need replaced sooner than the larger cartridges, as long as it's not going to create any problems with the system as a whole. Once they're gone, they're gone. I don't intend to permanently use the smaller cartridges.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C. B.

Anyone? I felt certain that someone has done this. Perhaps I'll be the first. I assume that there are three outcomes; everything will work properly and the smaller filters will perform the same as the bigger filters, everything will work properly but the smaller filters will have a shorter life due to the increased volume of water and/or increase in water pressure within the canister or the 10 X 2.5 filter will implode due to the increase in volume and pressure. I'll report the results but it will take some time, unless they implode soon after installing them.

Alex is offline Senior Member

You shouldn't have any issues with using the smaller filters. The inside diameter of the hole in the center of the filter is the same across the different sized filters.

The only thing that may be difficult is to be sure that the filter is not allowing water to go around the filter.

As the filter housing is tightened, the filter is sealed on both sides of the filter to force water through the outside of the filter. I am not sure if the point on the filter housings that seal the filter is different for the larger filter housings.
    Last edited by Alex; 04-17-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    You shouldn't have any issues with using the smaller filters. The inside diameter of the whole in the center of the filter is the same across the different sized filters.

The only thing that may be difficult is to be sure that the filter is not allowing water to go around the filter.

As the filter housing is tightened, the filter is sealed on both sides of the filter to force water through the outside of the filter. I am not sure if the point on the filter housings that seal the filter is different for the larger filter housings.
    Thank you, Alex, for your reply. I also feel that the smaller filters will work effectively, although I think the smaller filters will have a shorter life due to the increased water pressure and volume within the filter canister. I don't think I'll have a problem getting the smaller filters to seal properly, thus allowing all the water to be forced through the filter instead of being bypassed in any manner. The smaller filters with rubber gaskets should seal in the exact same manner as the larger filters and the smaller filters without rubber gaskets should seal as effectively as the larger filters without rubber gaskets.

It's simply a matter of not wanting to throw away the 20+ smaller filters I have, these filters being fiber, pleated, carbon wrap and carbon block. Throwing these smaller filters in the trash is, to me, no different than throwing money in the trash. We'll see what happens when I use the smaller filters at the next filter change. I'll post the results when I have them in one or two months.

Thanks again for your assistance. I appreciate it very much. I was beginning to wonder why nobody else has tried this. My main concern is that the smaller filters may not have the structural integrity to handle the pressure from the increased volume of water. I don't experience any reduction in water flow rate with the larger filters but I'm betting that I'll have a slightly reduced flow rate with the smaller filters, which is really no concern to me since I won't be using them after they're gone. I use the 10 X 4.5 Pentek DGD-7525 Spun Polypropylene Filter Cartridge in the first filter canister, the Pentek DGD-2501 Spun Polypropylene Filter Cartridge or Pentek DGD-5005 Spun Polypropylene Filter Cartridge in the second filter canister and the 10 micron Pentek EPM-BB Carbon Block Filter Cartridge, 5 micron Pentek EP-BB Carbon Block Filter Cartridge or 5 micron Pentek CFB-Plus10BB Filter Cartridge in the third filter canister. These filters are placed after my well pressure tank but before my water softener. I also use a small DuPont filter canister for an additional carbon block cartridge for the kitchen water service line, which I place after the water softener. I've found that Pentek filters surpass the quality of the others I've tried. GE filter cartridges have worked well for me with no noticeable reduction in water flow and certain DuPont filter cartridges have performed well also. I usually get two to three months use out of each filter before a change is necessary. I use a water pressure gauge after the three filters to determine when the water flow rate is reduced instead of relying on the flow rate coming out of a faucet.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you should have great quality water at the faucet! Of course, I don't know how good the quality was to start with..

The pressure and flow of standard household systems should not have any issue with the smaller filter. The filters are very structurally sound and should do the job even in a larger housing.

The filters are smaller so there may be more resistance, but you shouldn't see these filters collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Sounds like you should have great quality water at the faucet! Of course, I don't know how good the quality was to start with..

The pressure and flow of standard household systems should not have any issue with the smaller filter. The filters are very structurally sound and should do the job even in a larger housing.

The filters are smaller so there may be more resistance, but you shouldn't see these filters collapse.
    Thanks again, Alex. I appreciate your time and your assistance.

emsai is offline Junior Member

Instead of throwing this stuff away, you could offer it for free to someone who could use it, via craigslist or some other venue.

Quote Originally Posted by emsai View Post
    Instead of throwing this stuff away, you could offer it for free to someone who could use it, via craigslist or some other venue.
    I had thought about giving them to someone but I would want to give them only to a low income family or a friend who is in need of them. I won't give them away on Craigslist because, quite frankly, there are many unsavory people using Craigslist. I won't mail them to someone I don't know and I certainly don't want any strangers from Craigslist knowing where I live. I still have them and I'll simply keep them until I find a qualified candidate for them.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.