Thread: Rebedding softener tank

cvap is offline Junior Member

Default Rebedding softener tank

I've been having troubles over the last few years with horrible water and my previous posts on here explain it all. Finally, this week I decided to rebed my softener tank. Everything went fine rinsing it all out and replacing the fine mesh fiberglass media. I think somehow the new media is getting forced out with the water, filling a tub is yellowish, the same color as the media, and it feels very very soft. 3M gave me 1 cu/ft of media and I did run it through a backwash manually. Could anything in the valve be causing this, or will it eventually settle?
    There is a 2/ft backwash filter(which I also rebed), before this and 20" cartridge after.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cvap View Post
    I've been having troubles over the last few years with horrible water and my previous posts on here explain it all. Finally, this week I decided to rebed my softener tank. Everything went fine rinsing it all out and replacing the fine mesh fiberglass media. I think somehow the new media is getting forced out with the water, filling a tub is yellowish, the same color as the media, and it feels very very soft. 3M gave me 1 cu/ft of media and I did run it through a backwash manually. Could anything in the valve be causing this, or will it eventually settle?
    There is a 2/ft backwash filter(which I also rebed), before this and 20" cartridge after.
    What unit is this in? I always backwash a new softener (or a rebedded one) for a good 20 minutes and then cycle it before putting it into service to avoid this issue. If there is any actual resin coming through then your distributor tube and/or screens are cracked and need to be replaced. Other than that...flushing the media off will clear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    What unit is this in? I always backwash a new softener (or a rebedded one) for a good 20 minutes and then cycle it before putting it into service to avoid this issue. If there is any actual resin coming through then your distributor tube and/or screens are cracked and need to be replaced. Other than that...flushing the media off will clear it up.
    This is in a Aqua-Pure NFS-100 iron removing softener using 50-100micron fine mesh resin no bed. There is an hc-10 hydrocharger first, then a 2 cu/ft backwash filter with fine Mn/Fe removing media, then the softener, then a 20x4.5" 5 micron cartridge filter.
    I will try to backwash it without going through the whole cycle by unplugging the timer on backwash, then run through a cycle or two before I pull it off to check for a bad tube oring. Do you think that will be ok?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cvap View Post
    This is in a Aqua-Pure NFS-100 iron removing softener using 50-100micron fine mesh resin no bed. There is an hc-10 hydrocharger first, then a 2 cu/ft backwash filter with fine Mn/Fe removing media, then the softener, then a 20x4.5" 5 micron cartridge filter.
    I will try to backwash it without going through the whole cycle by unplugging the timer on backwash, then run through a cycle or two before I pull it off to check for a bad tube oring. Do you think that will be ok?
    Definitely worth a try rather than bathing in that nice tan water. Let us know how you make out.

Seems to be ok. Backwashed for 20 minutes or so then ran through a cycle. Hopefully it was just color being thrown from the fresh resin. Took a shower and rinses good.