Thread: Water softener conversion

jw20002 is offline Junior Member

Default Water softener conversion

I was wanting to convert my water softener to a whole house water filter using UV light. I noticed that Cuno APUV12 has a system which used a tank similar to mine but I am unable to find the valve or upper body. I can get the bulb, sleve and ballast easy but I can't find any parts list for the upper valve which replaces the bypass and allows an UV light to be placed in the middle of the tank.

http://www.homecenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?SID=121421

Has a photo which shows the valve which would replace my bypass valve and allow me to put a UV bulb.
    I would use my better judgment

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Why do you feel the need to use a UV? Ae you just beingreful or do you have positive test results for pathological or potentially pathological organisms.

If they are pathological, I would recommend using only a NSF Standard-55, Class-A UV system. Only these can give you the assurance of disinfection at full strength during its useful life span. Class-B systyems are normally used as additional systems to other disinfection systems or on water that carries no pathological organisms.

If you present water requires a softener, then never remove (one that functions properly) and simply replace it with a filter and a UV system, unless it is a Hallett UV. Hallett systems have a self cleaning sleeve that works within limited ranges of hardness.

The quartz sleeve will cloud up and the UV will become useless. It is much simpler to add a five-micron (absolute) filter after the softener and install a UV system.

Placing a UV inside a standard tank is neither certified or practical. I have never seen such a system.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

jw20002 is offline Junior Member

Thanks.
    I guess I will need to do some more research.
    I hate to junk the softener which looks like my only option. The softener came with the house which was installed when the original owner had a well, now he is on city water and everything appears to be fine. I ran across the Cuno system and thought it would be an easy conversion. I could replace the resin with filter media but not sure what or where to purchase. I just hate to throw the thing in the dump. The Autotrol timer still works but the resin has gone south, no way to regenerate.
    Thanks

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

That UV has been around for years, they work very well.

The head is proprietary to CUNO. I doubt they would sell just the head, or sell to the end user but one of their dealers might sell the head. IMO you'd do better giving the softener to someone that will rebuild it and then buy a regular UV light for much less than the price on that site for this type.

If your water is hard, all UV lights will work much better on softened water rather than on hard water. Quartz sleeve wipers rarely help with hard water scale build up.

Gary Slusser