Thread: Whole whouse sediment filter question(s)

Brando is offline Junior Member

Default Whole house sediment filter question(s)

We live in Arizona, Gilbert just S.E of Phoenix. We have been experiencing a ring in the washer that we just can seem to get rid of( it wipes away, kind of sticky, but always comes back in a wash or two) the color is just the same as the dirt outside for the most part.
    We also have a water softener( see my other post), i notice as well that there is a buildup of sediment ( same color )on the salt in the brine tank. The softener is outside, and plumbed into the main line.( outside as well)
    I thought i would add a sediment filter to the line and see if this might help the line is the washer. We don't really notice that anywhere else, but we do get an orange/pink kind of scum that cover the porcelain under the waterline in the main toilet, which wipes away easily.

I also have the water quality report from our town, but i cannot understand the specifics(pdf) if anyone would care to look at it i could send it to them.

Several questions:
    For the best flow rate should i get a 10x3 a 20x3 or a 10x 4.5

Should i plumb this in before of after the softener.

Should i use a combination activated charcoal filter or just the sedment filter.

Is eBay a good place( seems cheapest) to purchase.

Suggestions on which unit( i was looking at pentek, a culligan and a big blue as they all had ratings above 145 degrees, its going to be outside in phoenix in the summer).
    Last edited by Brando; 03-21-2008 at 02:06 AM.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Where is this ring in the washing machine? Are you leaving standing water in the washer to soak clothes?

The orangish/pink is probably bacteria. Either IRB (iron reducing bacteria or air borne that causes a pink material at the water line in open containers of water.

I am not a fan of using a prefilter for a softener unless the type of control valve or softener require it; and the vast majority do not. Using a prefilter can cause the softener to not backwash right and that kills resin.

The 'dirt' in the salt tank does not get into your water in the house. It is flushed to drain during regeneration. That's IF it gets into the softener at all. It is in the salt and comes out when the salt dissolves in the brine tank.

The ring in the washer is at the water line when the unit is full and washing, we never leave anything to soak. The washer is about 3 years old, i don't recall if this occurred with the last one off hand.
    The orange pinkish stuff takes several days to reappear, but doesn't show up anywhere else except in the bathroom we use daily.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

The air borne bacteria is called Serratia marcescens. It causes a pink ring around the edge of standing water. That's about all I can tell you about your problem. Wipe the areas with a bit of bleach on a rag and see what that does for it.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brando
    The ring in the washer is at the water line when the unit is full and washing, we never leave anything to soak. The washer is about 3 years old, i don't recall if this occurred with the last one off hand.
    The orange pinkish stuff takes several days to reappear, but doesn't show up anywhere else except in the bathroom we use daily.
    Could you have galvanized plumbing anywhere on the hot water side? Look at the top of you water heater.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    Could you have galvanized plumbing anywhere on the hot water side? Look at the top of you water heater.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    No, all copper, house was built in late 98, water heater( 1 month new) is 10 feet from the washer