Thread: Help With Algae

warponyone is offline Junior Member

Default Help With Algae

I may have posted in the wrong area the first time, so I am reposting here. Sorry for any confusion. I rent my home and suspect that the land owner put in a shallow well for our water supply. We have had many problems with sediments, brown marks, and scaling. I finally purchased an inline water filtration system :Whirlpool® Standard Whole House Clear Pre-Filtration System with Shut-Off Valve Model #WHCF-DWHV to help prevent some of these problems from our well water. (I already had a Brita filter attached to the kitchen sink and a filter on the shower head as well.) I installed it and used the filter it came with and purchased pair of charcoal replacement filters for later. The first filter said it was good for 6 months. After one month I noticed the filter seemed to be getting darker (it was white) and after the second month it seemed really dark. I took the filter off and saw green algae growing on the filter and coating the entire inside of the plastic case. At first I was going to rinse the filter and put it back, but decided to just start over with a fresh filter. The charcoal filter has been in for almost a month and I have the same mess. Pulling the filter out of the plastic holder you could clearly see the green tint to the water and the green film on the holder as well. I am very worried about all this algae in our water lines. I would like to know if you offer a filter that can reduce the algae growth or perhaps recommend a way to treat the filters to inhibit growth without harming us in the process. I thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions you might have.
    Last edited by warponyone; 05-16-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Sunlight is needed for the growth of algae. Your clear filter housings could be changed to colored ones and the problem should disappear. Sanitize the plumbing with bleach in a housing and you should be fine.

Default Thank You

Thank you for the quick response. I was thinking that might be part of the problem, but then why would they sell the clear housing? I liked the idea of being able to see the filter and change it as needed. I will switch to the blue housing and see if it helps.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

They sell clear sump housings because we use them in other areas than outside or in sunlight where they cause a problem with algae and other growths....

Default Thanks Again!

I went to Lowe's and bought the white housing. To sanitize the lines I added straight bleach to the clear housing without a filter in it and placed it back on. I ran the water in each sink in the house until I smelled the bleach. I am letting it set for a while and will then flush it all through. Then I will start with another new filter and the white housing. I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf, thank you.