total nitrate <2 ppm
    total nitrite <0 ppm
    copper 0
    Iron < 0.05 mg/L
    bacteria- negative
    hydrogen sulfide < 0.3 mg/L
    lead - negative
    pesticide- negative

I am on parish/county water system but am located 1/4 mile from the water tower so my chlorine level is way high. My water meter is in the ground (Louisiana) so I can't use a system that needs to be sheltered. I really need some help here as to which system to get, and how expensive replacement filters will be/how often to change. Am on a limited budget but I see the value in spending the money, lost my 8 year old terrier to cancer, over abundance of chlorine............I need something for the whole house, it's a new mobile home and after 6 months the tubs have water marks all over that NOTHING will remove. Any help on that would be appreciated too! very Please repy back with any other information needed. I can't find a professional here in my area except for Home Depot. Thanks

ChrisA is offline Junior Member

Any type of filter systems except for stainless housing (which can be very expensive, and is still not recommended to use outside) should not be used outside. Any polypropylene housing where it will be exposed to the elements will cause a couple of problems. One, if the temperature ever drops below freezing the housing will crack. Also, direct sunlight will degrade the strength of the material, causing it to stop working properly much sooner than with normal wear and tear.
    Here’s a link for a stainless steel housing

I would contact a plumber or someone with more intimate knowledge of plumbing to check and see if there is somewhere inside to connect the filter housing. That being said, if you can find somewhere to install it on your main water line inside your house, that would be ideal.
    If you do find somewhere for the housing inside, I would recommend using the Liquatec CB-450-975-10 filter cartridge in a Pentek Big Blue housing. This is a 10" Carbon Block filter that will help reduce chlorine as well as sediment. Sediment buildup is most likely the cause of your staining.

Check the size of your water line before ordering. The housing you order will change depending on if you have a 1 inch or 3/4 inch water line.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

You have extremely acidic water and it should be treated. It will be dissolving any metals it comes in contact with and adding them to your water. That can become a health concern.

You install equipment on the main water line where it comes out of the ground or after it enters the mobile home. If the equipment is outside, it should be sheltered from rain and sunlight.

I'd give up the idea of those filters until you get the rest fixed.

idasiler is offline Junior Member

Default So now what do I do?

Thanks for the post, I simply can't get anyone to help with an answer as to what I need to do, I have been looking since November, can you at least point me in the right direction as to what I need to install?

I am very concerned about my health and the county isn't being very helpful at all.

Thanks!

You need a sacrificial mineral, mixed bed, acid neutralizing filter or solution feeder, to buffer the acid. The filter should be an automatic backwashed type. I would not suggest a solution feeder because they are hard to work with and require constant baby sitting and a large retention tank. The filter will add hardness to your water and you may want a water softener to remove it and whatever hardness is in the water now.

idasiler is offline Junior Member

sounds complicated

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

At a pH of 5.0, a solution feeder will be more effective than a sacrificing media like a Calcite and MagOxide mix.

Let us know if you need more information.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Andy you are a bit late, the thread is 5 months old but we both know your intent is simply to disagree with me about the use of a sacrificial mineral mixed bed AN filter. And again, your limited experience is showing. Many of my customers have been using them for many years on water as low as 4.8 pH. You just have to know how to get it right, and with you being a salesman for a Kinetico dealer, well, that limits your abilities if the boss says no to a AN filter.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

So you are saying I don't have a right to express my opinion without fear of some personal retaliation?

I worked in an area where pH was typically 4.0 - 6.5. Since we personally test customers water at their home, sell and install the equipment, I have a vested interest in doing right because I am held accountable and make personal follow-ups to retest water.

I didn't say you were wrong. I didn't say Calcite wouldn't work. I said I beleive there is another way and one that works for me. That's all. you really needn't take it so personally and seem to get so frustrated. Take it easy, there.
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 12-25-2008 at 09:10 PM.