Thread: Changing carbon media

szn9rg is offline Junior Member

Question Changing carbon media

I have a whole house carbon filter cylinder which looks a lot like a resin filter cylinder found in a water softener. I need to have the activated charchoal changed. What I need to know is how to get the control module on the top off of the cylinder. It appears that the water will unhook on the back. There is a lever that says to make sure the pressure is relieved prior to releasing on the side of the module. Do you just unscrew the whole module or does just part of the module come off. I don't want to mess it up. Once I've got it off I'll take it to a local dealer to have the carbon and mineral replaced. This saves a rather large service call. Oh yea the brand is LCC model CF-1 Serial 0367. Tried to Google but didn't find anything. Not sure about LCC as the cylinder cover had these letters but they were intertwined so I'm not sure what the correct letter order is. Thanks for all your help.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

You have an Autotrol control valve and it totally unscrews from the neck of the tank. The caution is for taking the control valve apart with it on the tank, which you don't want to do.

szn9rg is offline Junior Member

Smile Gary

Thanks for the info. I will disassemble this weekend. It's good to know that there are people out there that are willing to offer their talents and expertise for the sole purpose of helping others. THANKS AGAIN

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

You're welcome.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

When replacing carbon in tanks, there will be a lot of air caught in the minute cracks and holes in the granuals. It may take a few days for the carbon to become completely saturated. In the meanwhile, you will see air tiny air bubbles in the water...not to worry.

Some of the carbon may float so let it sit for a short time nd run water through it before backwashing it.

There are different grades, brands and quality of carbon.

Check your drain line and make sure it is clear and not pinched. Replace if you feel to it's needed. It is cheap and may prevent some problems.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II