Thread: BB housing o-ring leaking

chaseme5 is offline Junior Member

Default BB housing o-ring leaking

I have 4 BB housings for prefiltering 2 watersofteners. Every time I change out or clean the filters inside the housings I have problems wirh the o-rings not sealing correctly. I was told I need to use a special lubricant. The lubricant that dealers sell me in not cost effective. And it seams to not always stop the leaks. I am now using canola oil. it works great and does not cost a fortune. Is there a problem with using canola oil?

How do I order new o-rings if 2 of my housings have no information for model # or manufacture? All I can tell you is that the housings are 100% white. 20" X 4.5" size. The o-rings are a different size then the other blue housing units that I have.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Yes, some BB filter's o-ring configuration is a pain. Such a bad design. There are other types that have solved that problem but you're already set up.

I like to stick with what is recommended. Silcone. You shouldn't have to lub it each time. Make sure there is no dirt or other foreign matter in the groove and on the o-ring.

I really don't know if vegetable oil will cause the o-rings to degrade like Vasoline does. Sometimes the o-rings gets larger and is hard to contain in the groove. Ger another on when you can as a spare.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Two water softeners? Are these in different locations?

Yes the 2 water softeners are at 2 seperate locations.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

The primary cause of oring problems is over tightening the sump, and attempting to remove the sump without all the water pressure being relieved first but... if the oring goes on the outside of the sump, that is a very poor design. Real BB(lue) filters the oring goes in a groove on the flat top of the sump. The bad type is Omni IIRC. Real BBs are blue made by Ametek/Plymouth Products/Pentair now.

Vegetable oils can cause bacteria problems and may cause damage to plastic parts; as petroleum based products do. Lubricants are not a sealant, so a light thin coating only of silicone so the two parts can slide on the oring without sticking which will stretch and deform the oring.

Quote Originally Posted by chaseme5
    The lubricant that dealers sell me in not cost effective. And it seams to not always stop the leaks.
    How do I order new o-rings if 2 of my housings have no information for model # or manufacture? All I can tell you is that the housings are 100% white. 20" X 4.5" size. The o-rings are a different size then the other blue housing units that I have.
    What do you mean, 'not cost effective"? Does that mean they only want o sell you bulk amounts? You shouldn't need much and it should last a long time. Besides bad o-rings, the biggest reason for leaks is simply diry or grit in the o-rng groove.

Can you take a picture of the filter housing? I think I know which one you have. Yes, the o-rings are different.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

I can only find food grade silicone in the single use tubes. Blister packs they are called. You can not buy this silicone at lowes or home depot. And most dealers will sell them for $3 per blister pack with $8 S/H. So you have to buy a large quanity to make it worth the money. Like 10 at a time. So $38 for silicone is not cost effective. I was told I can only use food grade silicone when it comes to water that is used for in the home. So that is why I say not cost effective to use silicone that is of food grade. I was told that the natural mineral silica is ground down into a paste with no chemicals to make this type of product. Regular silicone has patroluem in it. Which should not be used near a water source.
    Last edited by chaseme5; 12-26-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Chaseme5,

Sent you a PM