Thread: Odor in well water

geo05 is offline Junior Member

Default Odor in well water

Hi,
    Recently moved into a house with well water. We have a water softener and a water test showed the treated water to be fine (pH, choloform, hardness, etc.). However, the water has a mild sulfury(?) odor.
    A friend who lives down the block solved a similar problem with a whole-house carbon filter (std #10).
    We installed a PUR faucet filter and also tried a Brita carafe filter and each works very well in removing all traces of odor. Consequently, I installed 2 #10 filter housings (GE GXWH04H) in paralell (have 1" pipe and 4 ladies in the house) with carbon filters (Pentek CC10). The whole house units, however, do not seem to reduce the odor.
    Any suggestions on what may be wrong and how to fix?
    Filtration obviously works at the sink, so I would like to avoid more complex alternatives like oxidation, etc.
    Thanks!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Handling sulfur odors at the sink may be filtering 0.5 gpm for very short times and a small filter can handle it. For the whole house side, you flow rate is greatly increased and the volume is much more. Two 10" is not keeping up with it. You are using GAC filters in very small housings.

You can never really base treatment in your home as compared to a neighbors without looking at it individually. You will need a bigger system to solve the problem.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Thanks, Andy.
    Thats a reasonable explanation, except for the fact that after I installed the filters, I tested at the sink (the same one where I used the PUR). There was no other water use (no one else was home).
    So at least the initial test flow rate was more or less the same (it was slightly more through the house filters).
    And I belive the filters are installed correctly. There must be some other explanation...

My understanding was that the PUR filters are essentially granular activated carbon filters. As a follow up question, is there anything that might make the PUR/Brita performance significantly different than the Pentek CC10?
    Thanks.