Thread: well needs help

koolotto is offline Junior Member

Default well needs help

Hi, I have a well and recently had it tested. At this time there are no filters on the system.The results are:
    Nitrates: 0
    Nitrites: .5ppm
    Total Alkalinity: 200ppm
    ph: 9
    Total hardness: 15ppm
    Iron: 0
    copper: 0
    Chlorine: 0
    Bacteria: Neg
    Pesticide: Neg
    Lead: Neg

There is a slight yellowish color to the water that sometimes gets as dark as apple juice. There is also a bit of an odor. The water is hard, but the color is what is getting me in trouble with my wife. Washing White clothes?, you can see the problem. Could I get some sugestions that I could look into?? Thank you all.
    Last edited by koolotto; 01-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Besides the discoloration, your water is not too bad. Before you buy/install any equipment, get a tannin test done.

Tannins can easily be removed but just be sure that is what the problem is. A softener with taniin resins added may be all that you need for the discoloration. An RO will round off your water to make it high quality.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

I don't know who did your tests but the results don't 'feel' right to me. You have half the acceptable MCL of 1 ppm of nitrites and yet no nitrates. You have a pH of 9 and less than 1 gpg of hardness, no iron.... no TDS, sulfates or chlorides test results. I've done a lot of water testing and that's odd water test results.

Your pH is above the acceptable range of 6.5-8.5.

There are many other potential causes of discolored water than tannins.

koolotto is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. The water test were "PurTest" Home analysis kit, and were done by someone who doesn't know much about water....Me....
    The hardness scale showed, about 15 grains or 250 ppm. I'm not sure what
    " 1 gpg of hardness" is, but that's why I'm here. Just let me know what questions I need to answer and I'll do my best to find out.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

You previously said hardness was 15 PPM, and that converts to less than 1 gpg. So my 'feeling' was right and with 15 GPG, you need a water softener. And a tannin test first.

What does the odor smell like? Is the odor in the hot, cold or both?

lissa martin is offline Junior Member

Might be the pipe is rusting due to which this is happening. Or it is better if you contact an expert for this.