How to Manage Water Damage
Water damage is a problem found in almost all areas of the
world. It is typically caused by leaking roofs and leaking spaces under
the house. Any amount of moisture that enters the house can cause water
damage. The longer the water sits, the worse the damage will be.
There are a number of damages associated with water, the
greatest of which are the health problems caused by mold. Not all mold
has a negative effect on the human body, but many do. When water sits
in areas and causes mold, it increases breathing problems and
intensifies asthma attacks. There are also situations where the
moisture shorts out the electrical system, causing the homeowner to
experience shocks when they touch electrical items in the house.
In terms of treating water damage, the first step often
involves cleaning the area. Professionals recommend that homeowners
wear protective rubber gloves and open windows to provide ventilation.
Washing the items with bleach and water is also helpful as these
products clean any traces of mold left behind. Then the item must be
left alone until completely dry and then washed again. This is
especially true of walls with drywall or plaster and ceiling tile.
Electrical items are also cleaned when damaged, though the
power's turned off first. In some cases an electrician should be called
in to look at the wiring in the house and find any signs of serious
damage. Carpet can also be cleaned and washed with a steam cleaner that
removes as much of the damage as possible. With furniture, it might be
easier to replace some items than to clean them. If mold sets into the
furniture, it's often impossible to clean.
Even a small rain shower can cause damage if the roof leaks or
water builds up on the foundation. Treating and cleaning the damage
reduces the chances of health problems. It also reduces the amount of
money a homeowner will have to spend on fixing the problem when it
Resources on water damage include: