Have you wondered recently, “Do I really need an air purifier?” or “Why do I need an air purifier?”. If so, this blog post is for you. At FiltersFast.com we believe that the more you know, the better you’ll be able to discern exactly what you need.
An air purifier does exactly what the name says, it helps remove contaminants from the air in a room.
While changing your home’s air filters regularly can drastically improve your indoor air quality, many homes need some additional help. If you or someone in your household suffers from respiratory ailments such as allergies, asthma, common colds or viruses, an air purifier just might provide the relief you are looking for.
As you may already know, air quality is a huge factor when it comes to overall health. Many people don’t realize just how crucial indoor air quality is to respiratory health. Contaminants like pollen, dust, ragweed, airborne viruses, and bacteria contribute significantly to lung illnesses. If you’re not sure whether or not you need an air purifier, our Home Indoor Air Quality Quiz may help you get a better idea.
SCARY FACT: Did you know that the air inside your home can be 5-10 times dirtier than outdoor air? Americans spend an average of 90% of their lives indoors, so clean air quality should be a high priority!
While the price of an air purifier can be the deciding factor for most, there are many other things you should think about before you invest in an air purifier for your home.
- If you are on the fence about whether you should buy an air purifier, here are some things you should know:
- Make a list of priorities when it comes to air quality in your home.
- Effectiveness varies from model to model.
- The makers of air purifiers tend to focus on what happens to the air, not how it affects the body.
- One of the main reasons people purchase an air purifier is to help control dust that is being inhaled in the home.
- Other reasons include helping control pet dander, odors (from pets, smoke and cooking fumes) as well as cleaning vapors.
- If you suffer from allergies or asthma, an air purifier just might be your ticket to a healthier home.
When trying to decide where to put your air purifier, consider the following:
- In what room do you spend the most time? Many people opt for the bedroom because that is where they spend most of their time when they get home.
After determining where, you will then need to determine what size air purifier you need. Here are a few things you’ll want to know:
- The square footage of the room you want to purify.
- The air purifiers change per hour (ACH) rate. ACH is the number of times an air purifier can filter the entire volume of air in the treatment space each hour. For allergy and asthma suffers– you should look for one that changes 4 times per hour.
You’ll also want to consider any special features that you would like to have. For example:
- Caster wheels and handles for easy mobility
- Digital controls
- Remote controls
- Multiple fan speeds
- Filter change indicators
- Programmable timers,
- Air quality sensors, ect.
Lastly, before purchasing, make sure you are aware of the following:
- How often you will have to change the filter
- The price of the filter replacements
- How much maintenance and/or upkeep the unit requires.
For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of a few Air Purifiers that we carry to help narrow your search:
The Honeywell 50250 HEPA Air Purifier Cleaner captures approximately 99% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size and is a True HEPA Allergen Remover Air Purifier with Germ Reduction. These airborne pollutants could include mold spores, dust, pollen, smoke and pet dander. Additionally, the glass fiber material in the Honeywell True HEPA Air Cleaner helps to reduce airborne viruses and bacteria without using chemicals or other treatments.
The Honeywell True HEPA Air Purifier 50250 is excellent for large rooms. Surveys reveal that the Honeywell enviracaire air purifiers are recommended by more doctors for their patients than any other brand. An activated carbon pre-filter in the Honeywell HEPA Air Cleaner helps to remove larger airborne particles and reduce common household odors.
The Hunter 30847 Tower Air Purifier with HEPA Filter is an air cleaner that provides four stages air protection. The HEPA filter of this Hunter 4 in 1 reduces 99.7% of pollen, dust, smoke, allergens, and pollutants from your indoor air. Next, the Hunter 4 in 1 germicidal filter reduces indoor ozone through an oxygenating catalyst. Finally, this Hunter air purifier boasts Microban antimicrobial protection and a UVC germicidal lamp that reduces the presence of airborne viruses, germs, mildew, and mold.
The Holmes HAP706U True HEPA Air Purifier is an air purifier built with a sleek tower design. With this Holmes air purifier, you will be able to save space and purify your air with ease. A major feature of this room air purifier is its HEPA filter, which helps freshen your air naturally by removing 99.97% of airborne particles and allergens as small as 0.3 microns, including smoke, mold spores, pet dander, dust, and pollen. This unit also includes an optional ionizer that allows ions to capture larger particles more efficiently.
The Holmes air cleaner, also known as the HAP706Uk, includes a washable pre-filter for added air purification. In addition, this unit features three-speed settings for your convenience: low operation, medium operation, and high operation. The low operation runs quietly, the medium setting allows for continuous operation, and the high setting is useful for conditions involving poor indoor air quality.
Now that you know a little more about what air purifiers are and do, we encourage you to browse our selection of air purifiers and choose which one is best for you.
***Keep in mind that many of the air purifiers are special order. This means that we do not carry it in our warehouse. Special orders can take a few days to a few weeks to get to us, so we will do everything in our power to get it to you as fast as we can.
If you have any additional questions about air purifiers, please leave us a comment!