On March 22, 2014 we will celebrate World Water Day, as a means of focusing awareness on the importance of, and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. The first World Water Day was designated by the United Nations on March 22, 1993 and has been recognized each year since.
Each year focuses on a specific issue or theme. This year the theme is Water & Energy. The main objectives are as follows:
- Raise awareness on the close link between water and energy production.
- Reach decision makers by presenting case studies on the importance of water-energy issues that greatly impact social and economic development.
- Identify and demonstrate the water-energy nexus to key stakeholders who may influence UN-Water and UN-Energy policy formulation.
One main priority has always been to address the inequities of producing clean, fresh drinking water, proper sanitation methods and adequate energy services to millions of people living in rural, impoverished areas all around the world.
This World Water Day, by highlighting the importance of the water-energy connection, the aim is to put politics aside and come together for the sake of the greater good. Let us do our part to help those who are underprivileged and that do not have the resources to attain clean drinking water or the energy to produce it. This is a global responsibility that each of us must carry. This also includes practicing water conservation techniques on a regular basis, becoming more educated on water-related issues and becoming connected with a water charity that aims at ending this growing concern.
For more information on World Water Day and to find out what you can do to assist efforts, please visit UN World Water Day 2014.
Breweries, vineyards, wineries and distilleries are enjoying the growth of their fast-growing industries. Producing wine, beer and liquor are seeing consumer sales go up faster than producers can make. Overall, everything seems to be going well for these industries, but there is a major growing concern about a common ingredient that is threatening many beer, liquor and wine companies.
Grain, hops and grapes share one common denominator that all of them are competing for. That common ingredient is water. Farmers and viticulturists are running into problems trying to keep crops properly irrigated, as a result of the severe drought that occurred during the recent years. Viticulturists (grape growers), and farmers of hops and grain are competing for the same limited water resources. This will ultimately affect production, supply and demand, throughout many critical crop producing regions.
Just as water conservation is a major concern for various facets of the farming industry, it is an even greater concern for regular consumers. Be sure to check your home for leaks that could be sending your water bill through the roof each month. Here are a couple of items to help you conserve water in your home.
Watts LPSOV Leak Detector Rainshow’r Bernoulli Shower Head
Although there is a constant cycle of water that evaporates from the ocean – through the air – from the rain and then back to the ocean, about 98% of the water on this planet is in the oceans and thus unusable for human consumption, due to the salt content. This leaves approximately 2% of fresh water on the planet. In spite of the fact that water shortage is a growing concern with crops in many regions across the country, it is imperative that we get into the habit of protecting our natural water resources and use them wisely. Inevitably, our survival depends on it.
Source: "National Geographic"
Water is a major resource that we all take for granted. With approximately 70% of the Earth covered in salt water oceans, it’s easy to forget that there are places in the world that are without water. National Geographic is also concerned with how much water we use here in the United States and how that affects rivers, lakes, wetlands, underground aquifers, and freshwater species.
That’s why they’ve introduced the Water Footprint Calculator, an online questionnaire that asks questions about the way water is consumed in your home. National Geographic states:
“We live in a watery world, with the average American lifestyle fueled by nearly 2,000 gallons of H2O a day. What may come as a surprise is that very little of that—only five percent—runs through toilets, taps, and garden hoses at home. Nearly 95 percent of your water footprint is hidden in the food you eat, energy you use, products you buy, and services you rely on.”
The National Geographic Society encourages you to find out your Water Footprint and the “pledge to cut your water footprint and help return more water to rivers, lakes, wetlands, underground aquifers, and freshwater species.”