Are you a Saltwater Aquarium owner? Are you tired of running to the store every time you need replacement water? You should consider investing in your own Reverse Osmosis Filtration System.
What is a Reverse Osmosis (RO) System?
It’s a 3-5 stage filter that purifies tap water sources to produce 0 TDS (Type of Dissolved Solid) water. RO systems can filter out chemicals like nitrate and phosphate and other chemicals that can lead to algae blooms and cause other problems in an aquarium and it even traces of metal that lingers in tap water.
How an RO Filtration System works:
Tap Water –> Sediment Filter –> Carbon Filter –> RO Membrane –> 0 TDS water
Why do you need an RO System?:
- Quality Assurance: You’re the one changing the filter, so you know that your water is the cleanest it can be.
- Convenience: No more having to run to the store to get 0 TDS water and in the event of an emergency, you will be able to produce your own clean water.
- Saves you money: Having an RO system can save you a ton of money and time.
We’re experts in filtration, but not so much in making your own saltwater, so we found this great How-to video on how to make your own saltwater at home for your aquarium.
Things you need to know about RO Systems:
- You must use RO water for saltwater aquariums
- Keep your RO unit away from windows so that there is no sunlight on the filter
- Creates a lot of waste: You lose about 4 gallons of band water for every 1 gallon 0 TDS of water you get
- Pressure of the water should be 40-50 PSI coming in
- It’s not a quick process (The tap water goes through 3-5 filters before it’s purified and this takes time).
Quick tip: Be aware of the volume of water you need. RO systems should have a flow rate listed somewhere that tells you how many gallons of water it can produce a day.
For example, one of the RO models that we carry produces 7.2 gallons per day.
Other uses for RO Water:
- Glass cleaner
- Makes great drinks
- Safe to mix up baby formula with
Interested in buying an RO/DI filter for your home? Consider this one.