Need a Filtration System for Water with High Salt Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Filtration System for Water with High Salt Content

I will soon be moving to a house that has well water. I have had it tested and it has a high salt content. There is already a water softener in the house but I need to buy a filtration system so I can drink from the taps in the kitchen and bathrooms and also to make ice in the freezer. I have been told by several people that I will need a reverse osmosis system to filter out the salt. There are very many RO systems out there, running from $179 up to several thousand dollars. I really have no idea which one to buy.

I talked to Culligan, and they said they have a system that will do what I need for $1100. However there are much cheaper ones at Home Depot, Menards, etc. How can I tell which system is right for me? I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I do want safe, good tasting water in my new home.

Can anyone help me?

High Salt content is very dangerous. Heavy metals like Arsenic, Cadmium, and Lead, are present in water if the TDS (Total Dissolved salts) value is high in water.

Only a Reverse Osmosis water purifier has the capability to remove the TDS present in water. But, some cheap RO water purifiers remove natural minerals along with salts.

Natural Minerals like Calcium and Magnesium are required for our body to lead a healthy life.

So, you need to buy an RO water purifier that comes with a TDS modulator. The Modulator can retain the natural minerals present in the water.

I am from India, Here the cost of an RO + UV + TDS water purifier is around 250$

Comment

You need to get a specialized well treatment system installed as a water softener or a reverse osmosis system may not be capable of removing those contaminants. The best way to moving forward is to get your water tested first and then contacting a water treatment company in your area for a solution.

Comment

Never had softened water before, but I moved to an area with really hard water and had to get AFWFilters Fleck. Was considering a salt-free conditioner (Aquasana) since my dad said he hated the feeling of softened water, but ultimately decided on this because there is still debate on whether salt-free conditioners actually do anything to protect plumbing/appliances. Can't say I'm disappointed! The water tastes significantly better now - I don't see any signs of hard water deposits after several weeks of use. Easy to install (I did it in a few hours, all you need is a pipe cutter, some teflon tape, and the hookups (you can buy the hookups - threaded to snake bite - at Home Depot for like $10). If you have never used softened water before, it is slightly more difficult to fully rinse the soap off of yourself in the shower, that's my only issue.

Comment

Working...
        X